A Human Movement
Friday, August 15, 2003
 

I will remember this sight fondly

Well it is 3:05 on Friday, lovely day. I dare say a perfect day. My power came on at the nice time of 8:00 am, my fan turned on, and I was asleep and it seemed like nothing had happened. I think I was extra tired from the the 4 hours of walking yesterday, 116th st and Broadway starting at 6 PM down to First Ave at my sister's at 8. Two hours from one corner of Manhattan to another, I thought it was good timing. I even stopped in central park for a bit of a rest in the grass and to watch one of those human statues, they really are pretty neat when there is no power. Then through Times Square, without any signage. "Yes" I thought, finally - Times Sq. as I always wanted it. I walked right in the middle of the street with a Pepsi and a straw, foreigners and business people around me, and the cast of MTV out in a crowd full of sweaty teens. Then into 34 st street and out at the base of the Empire State Building. Hello mister Empire State Building, where are all your lights? Then down fifth ave to Madison Park, around the Flat Iron onto Union Sq. and over to the Gramercy down onto 14th st., 1:45 of walking and I could taste the east village... down second ave to 10th st. and over to first ave and then the home stretch. It was almost sundown by 8.

I rested a bit at my sister's, she gave me a beer and I met up with ann, who had been doing a day shift at Gigi's. Then unto the darkness we went, down Allen and into Chinatown. Kind of smelly and very, very crowded. We got on a bus, but it was more of a rest stop then any progress. So we got off, and realized the next project was "the Brooklyn Bridge" it was about 9:45 and we walked past City Hall, emergency light blazing, and then at the mouth of the bridge everyone seemed to converge... the bridge was for pedestrians. We walked over the bridge, looking at the red moon and the dark city behind us. After bridge hit downtown brooklyn. Lots of fat Brooklynites needing strange buses to get to their whereabouts. Hit Jay St. and got a Arizona Grapeade, it was about 10:30 and it was dark. The last phase of the walk home was easy, from Jay St. to Smith and then up smith and down to Nelson... I've done that before. Got home around 11:15, and had some ice water and an ice cold shower and went to sleep.
The power came on, and now I am back to Friday. Not a problem. I would do it again, power outages should be a summer ritual in the city.

It is funny, but the power went out at 4:14 (or something equivalent) and I was in the middle of a job interview for at the Columbia Oral History Research Office. This being the biggest blackout in america's history, and so ripe of an event for Oral Historicizing. I really hope I get the job.

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
working towards a spiritual conception of information...those visiting this page are in the presence of the deposited brain in the form of electric text embracing inclusive and spectacular ideas where possibility is mirrored less by occurances and more by the bodiless time-frame granularity come globule mark

ARCHIVES
May 2003 / June 2003 / July 2003 / August 2003 / September 2003 / October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / January 2004 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / April 2007 /


Whereas understanding is a foundation
Whereas mind should move
Whereas things have limits
Resolved that knowledge is king.

Powered by Blogger